Thursday, September 18, 2008

End of An Era

As someone who grew up in Milford, I was saddened to see this story this morning in the Connecticut Post about the closing of Paul's Famous Hamburgers after 62 years. Like many in town, I ate there on occasion, and although it was never really a hangout of mine, I do have good memories of their delicious burgers.

I don't know the particular reasons for its closure, and the story in the Post doesn't shed any substantial clues, but I would hate to think it was forced out of business because of too many competing burger chains. As I've railed here before, although I understand the convenience and attraction of chains, they really are poor substitutes for places with genuine atmosphere (not just old tennis rackets and eclectic photos hung up on cookie-cutter walls to create "ambiance") and more importantly, better food and service.

Paul's won our Best of Connecticut award for "best hamburger," an award won this year by Plan B Tavern -- who, despite having three locations (West Hartford, Glastonbury and Simsbury), is still a local business and not a national chain.

For now.

No comments: